Guns and Other Weapons Charges
Experienced and Skillful Guns and Weapons Criminal Defense Lawyer in Boston, Cambridge and Throughout Massachusetts
Massachusetts has some of the harshest firearms possession laws in the United States. Guns and weapons charges are frequently piled on top of other charges as an aggravating factor, including assault or robbery cases. When a gun is used in the commission of a crime, it is referred to as “enhancement,” and the penalties for the original charge can become much more severe.
In many cases, the original charge, which may have been a misdemeanor, is now increased to a felony. First-time offenders who haven’t committed a crime, but are found carrying a firearm without an F.I.D. will face a mandatory minimum eighteen-month house-of-correction sentence. Penalties for guns and weapons charges can include heightened minimum mandatory sentences in prison if you have prior convictions for like crimes.
Some of the most common guns and weapons crimes are:
- Unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, ammunition
- Unlawful carrying of a firearm, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, large capacity, feeding device, loaded
- Assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon
- Possession of a firearm in commission of a felony
- Armed robbery, Armed assault with intent to rob or murder
- Discharge of a firearm
- Defacing the serial number of a firearm
- Illegal sale or distribution of weapons
- Armed career criminal
As an experienced weapons charges criminal defense lawyer, Attorney Joun has successfully defended these cases. If you or a loved one has been charged of a gun or weapons charge, call Attorney Joun at (617) 304-6186. If this is an urgent matter (i.e., just been arrested or police is knocking on your door), simply say the word “EMERGENCY” before you leave a telephone voice message, and Attorney Joun will contact you immediately.